Thursday, July 24, 2008

What a morning

Somehow I knew today would not be a good day, I just didn't expect this. Since my younger son was born, I have been convinced that he is going to be the one that gets my Asthma. I have had it my whole life and thanks to my parents have always been able to handle it and whatever it may bring. There have been a few signs here and there, running noses on a regular basis, very sensitive skin - which now has developed into a mild case of eczema. But since the spring has started this year he has really been showing some signs, that noone else wanted to see or as the doctors state they don't want to label him. He gets a stuffy nose that eventually turns into wheezing. The first time it happened I had taken him to the doctor for the cold that turned into a bad cough, after getting home and starting the meds he started wheezing. I called the office and they told me to wait it out. The second time it happened I waited it out but ended up spending half my night in the bathroom running a hot shower (the steam clears your lungs) just so he could get some sleep. So this week when he started the runny nose - I knew what was coming.
Jump to today now
This morning my son wakes up at 6 am wheezing and very labored breathing. This time I'm not letting just going to sit there and watch my child be unable to breath. The immediate care center by us opens at 8, so we hang out till then. I pack up the boys and off we go. I was in such a rush to leave that we didn't have breakfast and all I grabbed for the boys were their milks. I really didn't expect to be gone long. They checked him out and while we were there gave him two breathing treatments and an x-ray. The wonderful doctor make the treatment fun, he called it making dragon breath, so we had a little fun with that. Anyone who has used a nebulizer knows the fun they are not. After the second breathing treatment and he is still wheezing we are sent to ER. Luckily Dad shows up with some rations for us. There they end up having to take a new x-ray and he was given a third treatment. When were finally able to go home, he is not 100%, but he is feeling better and in much better spirits. Then off we go to drop off prescriptions to keep this under control until we can get back to our family doctor. So finally 5 1/2 hours later we are home, and boy am I behind.
I will have to say every person that we dealt with today was great with me and my son. It is so nice to atleast have people who take into consideration that they are dealing with a 2 yr old. Not to mention I had my 3 yr old.


Toystory said...

This is by no means an answer to your's son's issues with his breathing and asthma, I am no a doctor nor trying to medically diagnose his just take it with a grain of salt.
My sincere feeling is that there are food, environment and other triggers to asthma that we are likely to overlook -- in my particular case I thought that I would definately not make it much longer as it was such a struggle every minute to breathe. I had the typical inhalers and all, but I confess I was guilty of inhaler abuse just to breathe easier for 10 minutes. Eventually - I had a wise Dr. who looked outside the "normal" view - and found out my issues.... ready? I am allergic to fructose (fruit sugar) - it's the stuff that diabetic people substitute for glucose, it's in almost every product prepackaged in one form or another. So.. I need to avoid and eliminate any fruit - real fruit, even lemons have fruit sugar and cannot have any corn in any form. (even deli loaves of bread have corn meal on the bottom so the bread doesn't stick) -- and my execma issues - was walnut allergy. NO conventional tests showed these things - I had a special blood test to specifically look for things. And I want you to know I can breathe - without inhalers at all, but I do take antihistimines & decongestants 2 X a day. Because the allergy causes the histimines, then stuffs me up and then the asthma kicks in ~ and it's really too hard to avoid all corn and fruit as it is hidden in foods.(guar gum is corn based - all dextrose is corn based, etc) Believe me I have scared more than one person with an "attack" after someone didn't think and served me something with corn or fruit.
If I have anything to say by posting this -- it's look for the asthma triggers - it could be his favorite food, or a once and awhile snack -- a neighbors cat, or the new carpet or paint 0r a toy he only plays with once and awhile. Your laundry detergent or a spice you use to cook something...Take note of when the symptoms happen and move backwards to see what could have caused it.
Because I think you can find some triggers, and help him avoid them to lessen the attacks - and stress on the entire family. Good Luck - I got my life back - it took awhile to "get it all out" of my system - but believe me there is NO way I want to trigger an attack - they are way too scary.


blogger templates | Make Money Online